Transplanting Religious Beliefs
Through Heart Surgery
Michael Haldin

"The statement God is Love makes no logical sense to the human mind and yet the heart can know it is true."

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Michael Haldin"
Subject: Re: Transplanting religious beliefs through heart surgery
Date: October 10, 2001 3:11 PM

This is cute!

Even though it commits a very strange form of inverted Equivocation, it still basically lays it out on the line! Of course the kid is using metaphors that are more than simply archaic -- but then, such metaphors have no place in a philosophical discussion of this nature, wherein he's trying to convince me of the usefulness, practicality, truthfulness, etc., of his position!

Thanks much!

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Michael Haldin"
Date: October 11, 2001 12:34 PM

Not so fast! Voltaire! Twain! Mencken! Lenny! They all carried lots of influence because they were widely read -- because they were funny! The most carefully crafted argument is useless if the reader falls asleep on the second premise.

I'm not sure of the chain of causality, how much blame can be laid at the feet of religion and how much of the religion is the result of the unprecedented problems we face, especially in a society that is as fast paced and rabidly competitive as that in America (although I still lash out against fundamentalism of all stripes).

I will, however, continue to popularize the notion that there are always more than three or four ways to see any situation. I will also keep my eye open for techniques that work (in any area).