Noncognitivism
And Falsifiability
Aparthib

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "aparthib"
Subject: Re: Atheism, noncognitivism.
Date: September 10, 2001 6:16 PM

Your point about the laws of physics providing a plausible explanation is good. After reading Victor Stenger's latest book, Has Science Found God?, I take this whole question one step further and acknowledge that many of the god-claims we hear these days could be verified by physics. This is particularly true of the claims for the existence of the Christian deity. However, when we have put these claims to the test, physics has only refuted them.

As for your definition of atheism, your need to come up with a rather large number of sub-categories, such as "infidel-1" and even "agnostic" shows only that the traditional definition for atheism is the simplest. The traditional definition is, "one who lacks theism (or a god-belief) for whatever reason." With it, one is either a theist or is not a theist (is an atheist). This leaves room, of course, to further distinguish among both groups, but at least web have established the two main categories. This done, further questions become much simpler to deal with. But by describing nine different categories right from the start, only confusion can result -- and the whole point of writing, to me, is to get rid of confusion!