Fox News' Bill O'Reilly
Slanders Atheists!
Randall Reiss

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Randall Reiss"
Subject: Re: Bill O'Reilly slanders atheists!
Date: September 25, 2001 5:56 AM

Didn't the Freedom From Religion representative do her job at handling these simple (and very predictable) statements? I mean, any time you get a nut like that in front of a camera, you know you're going to hear the word atheist being used to modify the proper noun Hitler, and you know you're going to hear it said that "true religion" could not have possibly caused any tragedy (begging the question of true religion being defined as an expression of religion which, in the long run, ends up not causing any harm). By the same circular reasoning, they have been known to define an "atheist" as anybody who commits evil.

I don't know that following with a rebuttal is the most appropriate response. We do well to grab the material I have about Hitler's religiosity and perhaps make a handbill similar to the "Which Ten Commandments" flyer, the "National Bible Week" poster, and the "Political Figures Talk of Separation, Religious Freedom, and Religion" extended list of quotations. We also do well to come up with an FAQ piece on Hitler.

The PAM web site is so busy any more that items such as these would get far more exposure in the long run than any "rebuttal" would. They would be useful in any "Hitler was an atheist" situation, and would be more highly respected, to boot. However, PAM is so busy that I don't have the time to even keep up with the tremendous inflow of e-mail, much less come up with this other stuff like I really should. But I did find the Hitler material that a friend and I put together for an AOL forum oh so many years ago.