Reasons To Oppose
Bible-Based Religion

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "J"
Subject: Re: WebMaster:_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: September 01, 2001 8:23 AM

I am not a Christian because the claims for the existence of the Christian god do not hold water: they are not worthy of my assent. Because none of the other religious claims hold water either, I remain an atheist.

I work long and hard to expose and oppose the behavior of Christians who either: (1) try to force the rest of us to support, endorse, or live by the Christian faith; (2) use falsehood, emotional hooks, or high-pressure sales tactics to entice, trick, or bluff others into joining the Christian religion; (3) lie about history or science in order to make the Christian religion seem to be something that it is not; (4) marginalize, condemn, discriminate against, slander, and even imprison, maim, and kill those of us who are not Christians -- simply because we are not Christians.

Those are the two opinions I have of the Christian religion, and these opinions hold for any religion or ideology (including the atheism of the Stalinists -- which more closely resembled fundamentalistic theism in its style of thinking than many 21st century religions do). Otherwise, I tend to leave people alone and try to presuppose that everybody believes the way they do for reasons that they think are valid. I have absolutely nothing to say to someone who practices her or his religion privately and unintrusively. My opinions cover only intrusive, exploitative, or dangerous religious expression.