From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "D.J. Brown"
Subject: Re: Declaration: 'All Men Created': Not Kansas, Washington!
Date: February 09, 2002 1:55 AM

The post from CSICOP's Barry Karr a few files back says it all. This guy is a duly elected nutcake. We have no control over who the various districts send up to the hill, but it is well known that all this guy's bills get buried, and never see the light of day.

But your P.S. actually summarizes the bottom line for me, when it comes to distinguishing truth from falsehood: Would that we all brought every one of our ideas and offer them up to the scrutiny of our peers! If we would but compare notes (I like the phrase "consensus reality") we could minimize the one fact of life that makes us human, the one fact of life that prevents me from thinking that we were created by an intelligent designer: our fallibility! Science, which is little more than the process of offering our ideas up to the scrutiny of others and yielding to the results of that scrutiny, is designed for the express purpose of addressing our fallibility. Designed? Yea, continually designed and redesigned until we never quite get it right, because that's what fallibility does. Thus, science will never be "perfect" because there is no such thing. I have taken the word out of my vocabulary, and I use the word only to point out that I don't use the word. My spoof on this whole notion of a "model" human whose behavior we ought to emulate is this: I am a perfect specimen of the human species in that I am perfectly human.