Why Do You Use
C.E. On Dates?
Keith Adney

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Keith Adney"
Subject: Re: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: February 28, 2002 6:55 PM

C.E. means "Common Era" which some have bastardized as the "Christian Era," which is just about right: European Christians decided they were so important that they even changed time itself to go along with their god-claim. The Muslims did pretty much the same thing.

The Common Era began about 45 years after Julius instituted his calendar; however, we did not start counting this way until a few centuries ago -- meaning that most references to the "Common Era" are back-dated. Before the change was made, though, we Europeans counted time from the alleged founding of Rome, approximately 750 B.C.E.

What does A.D. mean?

Six-and-a-half years of service
    to people with no reason to believe

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Keith Adney"
Date: March 02, 2002 11:18 PM

Quit flattering yourself!

I use the system currently in use in most Western universities and scholarly institutions, because my audience is primarily Western. I also live in the United States, which, unlike Canada, is not a Christian nation, and thus not obligated to give insignificant gestures of lip service to The Lord, such as dating ourselves as pre-Enlightenment with the use of "A.D." instead of what the scholarly world currently uses.

Now, just translate the dates that your little religious sect uses into the dates that the rest of the Western world uses and you'll have about one-sixth to one-fourth of the world covered. So many of you Christians tend to be so arrogantly self-important, always forgetting that there exist Chinese (one-fifth of the World's population), Muslims (almost one-fifth of the world's population), Indians of various stripes, Greeks, atheists (over one-fifth of the World's adult population, but wholly intimidated through centuries of persecution to bother opposing petty injustices such as having to use a calendar which dates itself from the alleged birth of a mythical figure), Jews (almost 12 million by very liberal estimates), and many others who do not use the Jesus calendar.

Keep hammering the rest of us with your Christian arrogance and you'll serve only to give more of us that much better reason to abandon both "A.D." and "C.E." altogether so we can hurry up and institute a superior system, such as "B.P." -- perhaps during my lifetime, if I'm lucky!

Hey! How much of science has already converted to the "B.P. system?

And hey! If I'm so stupid, why do you need to translate my dates? What do you find so interesting about my web page, since you obviously don't fit the target audience?

And speaking of Microsoft, you can look up C.E. in Encarta right on the web and find out what it means for yourself if your Christian schools failed to teach you what it means. I mean, it's not my burden to provide you with a basic elementary school education.

And you didn't answer my question: What does A.D. mean?