From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "James Schuler"
Subject: Re: WebMaster:_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: Wednesday, October 24, 2001 9:24 AM

Okay, let's get busy! If you know where to get financial backing, I've got the resources as far as historical material, perspective, and even a complete typesetting operation including software and fonts worth at least four grand! We can do almost anything with that as long as we have the financial backing to print the stuff, the networking to distribute and promote it (and defend it, see below), and a bit of labor, as I'm quite strapped with my own projects. However, I'd gladly loan out my system to anybody who thinks they can do something productive with it.

Last time our side did book covers, however, atheists in Texas distributed covers with quotes about religion from the Founding Fathers (Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Samuel Adams, James Madison, Thomas Paine, Benjamin Franklin, Ethan Allen, etc.). But you know what? The covers were banned from the schools as "hate literature"!! Hate literature!? Can you believe it!? They can't handle even the thought that a true hero such as Abraham Lincoln could possibly have had atheistic tendencies at times, or that George Washington could have been anything other than a pious Christian, falling to his knees at the drop of a hat and humbly beseeching the Christian Lord for His guidance in establishing this new Christian nation unto His Glory! Our collection of Biographical Sketches puts many of these notions to rest.

Actually, these Christians are just plain greedy! But then, that's what happens to you when you use a collection of documents such as the Bible as your "infallible" moral guide. Christians of this variety will never be satisfied with everyone getting a slice of the pie, if they are not in complete control, then they just won't shut up. I'm not speaking about all Christians, mind you, not even all Bible-thumpers, just the meddling ones, the ones who feel duty bound to tell everybody else how to live their own lives. They don't have to work for a living and thus have plenty of time on their hands. Unless they are in full control, they will connive and finagle and swindle and snivel and con and pout and lie and cheat and hiss and spit and jump up and down and generally make it so that your absolute best option is to "toss them a bone," so to speak. Almost all the petty legislation that has come their way has been in the form of "tossing them a bone" to get then to stop barking and go off into a corner for a while so we can get a few things done and keep the neighbors off our ass. Then they turn around and point to those as "precedents" in order to get more.

A year or so ago, we offered to make our National Bible Week and Which Ten Commandments materials available to be converted to book covers. I have also compiled the Political Figures Quotes material which would be great source material for book covers, etc., but in the mean time, we are converting that work into a Random Quotes Generator file that people may use on their web sites.

Joseph Lewis used to fund the distribution of little copies of Paine's The Age of Reason. I have the edition of it that's had the language modernized, but with a little work we could come up with modernized, "Young Peoples' Editions" of Ingersoll, our Jefferson Quotes Page (or any Jefferson set, for that matter), or even Joseph Lewis's classic Atheist Manifesto or Atheism.

I am willing to work with anybody who wishes to use it to use this material (or any other to which I have access) to distribute to schools.

The problem is, the Christian churches get beaucoup money from the sale of their fire insurance policies ("Donate your Estate / At a Rate we can Equate / Lest ye Hate your future State!") and that's what finances their propaganda puppets. I have yet to meet an active atheist who is so utterly contemptible as to exploit their fellow humans in such a way (I'm sure they exist, but they're rare enough as I have not met any). For this reason, we generally don't have money to burn like the Christian organizations do.