Psychoanalysis Of Quotes Editor
Makes Him Sad (Cough!)
Jacob

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "[essentially unsigned]"
Subject: Re: Big_List_Of_Quotations
Date: January 03, 2004 11:46 PM

Ah, I see that we have another bigot on our hands: somebody has logged on to "an atheist web site" and, in an effort to squash those hidden feelings of inferiority, choose to intimidate people he does not even know, members of a class who, as a class and as members of that class, have done him no harm whatsoever.

Dear Mr. Unsigned:

    -- er, uh --

Dear Mr. Dot, Dot, Dot, Dot, Dot, Dot, Dot, Dot, Dot, Dot, Jacob, Sir:

(If that be your moniker.)

You are a bigot in that you write off the entire class of atheists as "fools." To aggravate the situation, you do this (it is clear) without even bothering to find out what the word atheism really means!

Furthermore, you are a bigot in that you are willing to stoop to making use of whatever derogatory statements cross your mind to speak evil of those whom you (wrongly) consider your opponents.

(Well, okay: the moment you started with your slanderous slam session you became our opponent, bringing this upon yourself. But until then, most of us neither knew who you were nor cared what your game might be.)

But had you been serious about a discussion rather than simply slinging mud, you would have pulled some of the sayings of ours that you find objectionable and would have responded with precision regarding what it is about those sayings that you don't like.

But this is not what you did.

Rather, you amassed a list of emotionally charged terms of derision and assembled them into a spite-filled harangue that ends up saying nothing (other than to alert the world that you are one of those people who likes to heave forth a nauseatingly unpleasant egestion of senseless hatred).

As it stands, you simply did the rhetorical equivalent of letting out a big roar. Then you started pounding your chest (in so many ways) and jumping up and down. You then proceeded into growling, hissing, spitting, and swiping your claws a few times. At the end, you stood there, buffing your nails, thinking to yourself the equivalent of, "What a good boy am I!"

You also accomplished a second goal in all this: you managed to intimidate members of a class that have, as members of that class, done nothing to harm you. The intimidation results from the fact that since you would say these things for no apparent reason, we cannot assume that speech is as far as it goes with you. What other senseless, hate-filled acts are you capable of committing, given just the right proximity to just the right potential victim? You have thus managed to turn speech into an act of violence, intimidating a class of people into keeping their opinions to themselves rather than using a full arsenal of resources in their attempts to fulfil the universal human obligation of trying to build a better world for us all.

Shorter Graphic Rule

Besides, the link you clicked to open this e-mail is in our Big List of Quotations -- which is just that: a list of quotations! things that other people said! We did not write the words contained in the quotations, we merely prepared the list. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

Unlike many such lists, ours contains quotations from "both sides of the fence," if you will. The main section features sayings that might be of interest or a challenging nature to atheists, their allies, and most theists. The "Scary Quotes" section, however, is essentially for comedic relief and is enjoyable by all. Do Pat Robertson, Sen. Joseph McCarthy, Bishop Augustin Misago, Rev. Fred Phelps, and Eugene Rivers represent the majority of Christians?

Uh, I -- don't -- think -- so!

That's why we maintain the "scary quotes" list separately from the regular list: even most theists agree with what's in the regular list and most of them disagree with what's in the Scary Quotes section.

Shorter Graphic Rule

Ah, but none of this means a thing to you, simply because of who it is that wrote the words! Since an atheist wrote this, it is meaningless at best and full of lies at worst.

And no, I'm not going to get condescending and say, "How sad" and then type a long row of dots for emphasis. Instead, I'll keep working to rout the World of people who behave the way you have done here.

Eight years of service to people
    with no reason to believe

Graphic Rule