From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Richter, Mark M" <mar667fAsmsuDedu>
Subject: Re: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: July 20, 2003 9:32 PM

I'm not sure that such a list could be thorough, owing to the continuing need of so many Americans to "remain in the closet" regarding one's own homosexuality or atheism. Unfortunately, this need spills over in applying to one's opinions in support of the rights and dignity of homosexuals and atheists. Indeed, you imply sensitivity to this need in your request to have us remove the business information from your e-mail signature! Such a list could only be approximate, and one who maintains such a list could whittle away at its inherent flaws by stating the number of people who contacted the researcher but did not wish to be named in any reports or lists.

If anybody does have such a list, it would be Steve and Scott Cozza, the youthful founders of Scouting For All. If anybody has such a figure (or can quickly come up with a rough estimate of this figure, simply by sending out an e-mail dispatch with a request for testimonials), he would be the one who could pull it off.

He is also the one who could round up a large number of resignation letters for posting or publication, if a project arose which featured such letters as their centerpiece or as the entirety of the project.

I have a few ideas along these lines rolling around as ways that might support Scouting For All either financially or as much-needed attention-getting devices. I will post this and will send a copy of it to Scott. Perhaps it's time to round up some testimonials (à la our De-Conversion Stories) regarding the Eagle Scout resignation movement (for lack of a bona fide name). I would be willing to donate even large amounts of web space for such a project, including a collection of "Eagle Resignation Letters," if we could get one off the ground. Seeing as how I now have two such letters, this is already enough to start a section.

Scott began attacking the Scouts at the tender age of 12 (or so) is, at 19 (or so) the busiest anti-scout activist on record challenging their policy on homosexuals. (At my request, he agreed to include the phrase "and atheists" every time he mentioned "homosexuals"; he's been very faithful to his word!) His e-mail, as shown in that letter, is:
     cozzahived@aol.com
and his web site is at:
     www.scoutingforall.org
He has an e-list to which you may subscribe simply by asking. (I used an old anti-harvesting trick on the e-mail address to thwart spammers: you'll need to put it back together yourself.)

My only wish now is to have restored to me the energy and attention span to do even what I'm supposed to be doing here at PAM, even what I could do just two years ago! I'm scrambling to post a few dozen letters as a gesture to the readers, saying, "Here I am! I'm ba-a-a-ack! Anybody wanna help?" But the idea of others able or even willing to help out has always been an unfulfilled pipe-dream. PAM, I guess, is neither destined by the stars nor ordained by the gods -- but is slated nonetheless -- to remain the work of one man.

Eight years of service to people
    with no reason to believe

Shorter Graphic Rule

Letter to Steve Cozza

Steve,

I just wanted to say thanks for your good work!

I have been ill for almost two years, but have kept abreast of your activities. I, likewise, have been a social activist since before my teens.

Once you start, it seems impossible to stop, even when your "pet issue" gets resolved. I've watched the Vietnam War end, as well as the Apartheid regime. We closed the Trojan nuke plant. (The nuke plant on The Simpsons is Trojan in "real life," Matt being a life-long Portland resident. But guess what! We closed it down!) I single-handedly stoped enforced Twelve-Step meetings for a spell. There are several other projects that I've worked on: some successful, others, not.

What happens is that you try to live what some might call a "normal life." But then here comes some other need -- and guess who knows how to get things rolling? You and I and others like us, that's who! So without really thinking about whether or not we "should," we get on the ball and get the things done that need to be done!

I especially wanted to reiterate my wholehearted thanks to you on behalf of the usually silent atheists of the West and of the world. (More on this silence in a paragraph or so.) I remember very early in your work I wrote you and asked if you would try to include the language "and atheists" whenever you speak publicly of the Boy Scouts organization's bigotry against homosexuals ("and atheists"). Although the tone of my letter was one of frustration mingled with longing hope, you immediately took this suggestion to heart, informing me that you had done this numerous times already. You then agreed to try to do this whenever you could.

I wrote again once, to remind you. Although I forget the context, we agreed that the situation was such that for you to have added "and atheists" would have been detrimental to the immediate agenda. (I think you had been working with a group of clergy and I was unable to see this at the time.)

I do want to mention, in a spirit of gratitude, that your continuous mention of our plight along with that of the gays is working powerfully to further our goals of reducing the stigma leveled against atheists (which is more widespread and vicious than even that leveled against homosexuals). No, I do not need to take a poll or have any other kind of proof to say this, I've just watched this one "trick" (if you will) work again and again in numerous contexts and situations. Exposure, exposure, exposure, brought out over a period of time, is the key, I think! (Besides being right, of course!)

Eight years of service to people
    with no reason to believe

Dear Cliff,

Thanks for your supportive note. Together we stand and together we will continue to make a difference for social justice and human rights for all.

Keep up the great work.

Sincerely,
Scott Cozza
Scouting for All