Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Mike F."
Date: August 21, 2003 11:32 PM

We are sorry that you lack the respect toward your own viewpoint to bother presenting it using correct English.

Atheism is the absence of religious faith. It is not the positive belief that gods do not exist (although a handful of atheists do hold this opinion on top of their atheism).

As such, atheism is a very minor element in the overall outlook of any atheist. In fact, most of us rarely if ever think about atheism at all. At all. Please explain how the very absence of faith can be "a faith."

Again, atheism is the absence of a specific viewpoint, the view that a god or gods exist. One need not have ever even heard a god-claim to be an atheist, because atheism is the simple absence, not necessarily a willful rejection and not necessarily arrived at through the processes of logic. This is not unlike saying, "The absence of an opinion on the political standpoint of the Whig party of post-Revolutionary America is based on irrational logic(s)." Please explain how the absence of a viewpoint (the belief that gods exist) can be based upon any logic (much less, as you call it, "irrational logics").

See above: atheism is the absence of a specific viewpoint, that view that a god or gods exist. One need not have ever even heard a god-claim to be an atheist, because atheism is the simple absence, not necessarily a willful rejection arrived at through the processes of human reason. This is not unlike saying, "For a person to not hold an opinion regarding the advantages or disadvantages of using antidepressant medication during interferon treatment of Hepatitis C is based on unfounded reasoning." Please explain how the absence of a viewpoint (the belief that gods exist) can be based upon unfounded reasoning.

Shorter Graphic Rule

Until you can explain these things to us, we must consider your statement to have been prompted by the institutionalized bigotry that has been foisted upon Christians (and others) by the Christian leadership for the purpose of slandering a class of people who, as a class, has done nobody a lick of harm. Christian leadership needed an easy way to make it seem to their students and parishioners that atheism is a stupid viewpoint. To do this, they were forced to lie about what we do and do not believe. To tell the truth about our positions (and lack thereof) would have shown their audience that atheism is entirely reasonable when it is a deliberate decision. Their parishioners and students would also have seen that atheism is most understandable when it is simply the default position of a person who has never cared to think upon the subject of organized religion, god-claims, and allegations of the supernatural.

Eight years of service to people
    with no reason to believe

Graphic Rule