From: “Scott”
To: “Positive Atheism”
Subject: “In God We Trust” On Our Money!?
Date: July 24, 2002

I’m not an atheist, but I fully agree that the slogan should not be included on our nation’s currency. However, you are missing some vital facts in your argument. You should be aware that the Federal Reserve is neither Federal, nor a reserve. It is a private company that is required to pay taxes, license it’s vehicles, etc., just like any other private company and unlike a government agency. (Yes, I see the irony in paying taxes with an unbacked certificate that you produce yourself!)

The US Mint, which produces our coins, is another story. The separation of church and state should apply in this case, and you should be able to make a strong enough case to get it removed from our coins. However, since the paper money isn’t produced by our government, the separation does not apply.

Your best bet at getting your way with your plan of removing this slogan from our currency is to voice your opinion that the US Treasury should start printing money again (as our laws state that they are the only ones allowed to do so, and that it should be backed in gold, silver or any other valuable ore), and that the slogan should not be included.

As stated, I’m not an atheist, but I’m equally offended that the slogan is on the currency, from both sides of the argument: Church and State. Basically because the slogan indicates a mutual endorsement: The church endorsing the monetary system (very inappropriate), and the state endorsing the church (also inappropriate).

Best of luck in your quest, but I hope you’ll do more than scratching it out with a pen. Pool your money and hire a lobbyist as the least of things to do.