From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Charles Morgan"
Subject: Re: Salutations and gratitude
Date: March 28, 2003 4:34 AM

Thanks.

Health is two steps forward and three steps back -- or something. Other than that, it's business as usual in police room six one nine.

I've found it important to keep in mind that the only person to whom one who really needs to learn to articulate one's ideological position is oneself. It's really nobody else's business that I'm an atheist; neither is it my burden to enlighten others, to show them the way, or to give them correction or an education or anything along those lines.

Yes, I do this as my work on the web site and magazine. But the main reason I do it is to provide myself with an education! (And what an education this has been! My word!) If anybody else wants to watch, pick up a few pointers for their efforts, or perhaps show me a think or two, that's fine with me. But the main reason I do this is to elicit feedback so that I might someday at least figure out what's going on. If I can find a use for what I've learned, all the better. That is, if I discover what I think might be the key to ending antiatheist bigotry or some similar setback I've had to face my entire life, then I'd really like to be able to put those ideas into practice on a wide scale. But I have no emotional need to do that: I'd be satisfied with the simple "Eureka!" experience that comes with solving a complex riddle that been gnawing away at me for half my adult life. In a similar sense (and with Thomas Paine), I have no emotional need to be the one who solves the riddle (or whatever).

There's how life goes for me these days.

Hey, thanks for writing, okay?

Seven-and-one-half years of service
    to people with no reason to believe

Shorter Graphic Rule