From: "Positive Atheism"
To: "KB"
Subject: question about Helen Keller quote
Date: October 26, 2004

Both passages are from her book, "The Story of My Life."

Actually, both comments are in the very same paragraph. To read the entire paragraph, which speaks for itself, should clear up any questions as to why the two comments seem so utterly at odds with each other: As the Bible itself might put it, Keller herself was "of two minds" about this matter.

Here it is:

But how shall I speak of the glories I have since discovered in the Bible? For years I have read it with an ever-broadening sense of joy and inspiration; and I love it as I love no other book. Still there is much in the Bible against which every instinct of my being rebels, so much that I regret the necessity which has compelled me to read it through from beginning to end. I do not think that the knowledge which I have gained of its history and sources compensates me for the unpleasant details it has forced upon my attention. For my part, I wish, with Mr. Howells, that the literature of the past might be purged of all that is ugly and barbarous in it, although I should object as much as any one to having these great works weakened or falsified.

One of these days, when I get some free time, I'll fix the Quotes page, replacing what's there with this so as to give a more accurate picture of Keller's stated views on the Bible.

Take care.

Entering our 10th year of service
    to people with no reason to believe

Note: While imprisoned, a Gideon’s was all I had. We were not allowed to have books, etc, but in America, it is illegal for them to prevent you from reading religious "holy books and the like. The quaint tales therein have since become like familiar old friends!

Graphic Rule