As Long As Ideas Can Be
Expressed and Questioned,
There Is Hope

Martin Gardner

From: "Martin Gardner"
To: "Positive Atheism"
Sent: October 19, 2004
Subject: Big List Of Quotations

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I am a Christian, but I have spent so much time in the middle of the endless mud-slinging between fundamentalists of both Christian and atheistic persuasion, that I had despaired of ever finding peace of mind in my spirituality. There had seemed to be no room for balanced, rational dialogue in an increasingly polarised and hostile debate. This is why your website has been a breath of fresh air.

Reading from your list of quotations, I had the feeling that there is always hope as long as ideas can be expressed and questioned, as long as people can challenge ignorance, as long as we can learn not to fear beliefs beyond our own.

Best Wishes,

Martin Gardner