Reservations Regarding an Afterlife

Chuck

From: “Chuck”
To: “Positive Atheism”
Date: November 6, 2006
Subject: A Comment and Question

I enjoyed reading your responses to e-mail questions. I have been a Secular Humanist for a long time and think I am about to make the next step into, at the very least, an Agnostic or Atheist way of thinking. I am, after all, a recovering Roman Catholic, and at the age of 39 it’s taken me some time to detach my brain from all the garbage put in. I was put through Catholic School from 2nd to 8th grade or as I like to call it, “Hell On Earth,” and I knew I was gay from the time I was 6 years old, so I have been severely effected by religion and it’s taken me many years to know that my life has value and there is no God or Devil going to damn me for an eternity for being this way.

Unfortunately in the process of dealing with all this I have had to divorce myself from my family and move on with my life which is no big deal really since I am adopted anyway and don’t have any kind of genetic connection to them. I appreciate the fact that they did their best to raise me and provide for my needs but I don’t feel I owe them any other gratitude.

The only part of Atheism I’m having trouble with is the after-life. I have seen programs on TV and heard clips on the Coast-To-Coast AM radio show [Art Bell, et alii] that would make me feel otherwise. I have seen spirits and heard spirits and know they exist. I have studied this matter for a very long time and have come to believe that there is an after-life where our energy does go on but not in a physical form but is pure energy. I do not know if it can go anywhere other than staying here on Earth or maybe it can move about the universe if it desires to. So I still have leanings to only being Agnostic and questioning everything that happens before and after the life we have here on Earth. What are your thoughts on this and how would you explain some of the real scientific work that’s been done to prove that the energy of living things on Earth does go on after death?

Thank you.

Take Care, Chuck :)

From: “Positive Atheism”
To: “Chuck”
Date: November 11, 2006

You say that you think that “our energy does go on”; however, you provide us with no clues regarding just what you mean when you use the term, energy.

Every physicist I’ve ever heard discuss energy has said it can convert to matter and it can be dissipated as heat (among other things).

Your language, “energy ... not in a physical form,” tells us nothing. What are you saying, here?

how would you explain some of the real scientific work that’s been done to prove that the energy of living things on Earth does go on after death?

Like I’ve said many times, no such scientific work has arisen that can honestly (truthfully) be described as “real”!

What these religious side-show barkers have taught you to do is play funny with the word energy. (That game is called “Equivocation.”)

Here, read my work titled, “Discussing Atheism with Others,” and then call me up and help me face the very real likelihood that the doctors will have to start amputating toes within a month unless something physical happens right away!

Quit fooling around with empty concepts! Come over here and bring strength and comfort to a fellow human who has no friends that he knows of in this city — no family here, to be sure, no money left from all this, and no resources.

Living life: that is atheism!

Cliff Walker
www.positiveatheism.org

From: “Chuck”
To: “Positive Atheism”
Date: November 11, 2006

And what would you call it then if not the word energy? Yes I believe some kind of life force that exists in us all goes on even after death. I have> seen many things in my life time that makes me believe that there is something to it. I don’t know what it is that exists after death but I do believe it’s real and it exists. The easy term I use is energy because it seems to be able to effect things in this world and that must take some kind of energy to do so. Don’t be so skeptical. I was very much skeptical at one time too and that all changed when I had real things happen that to this day I cannot explain. I can only use words that I’m familiar with to describe it. Nothing unusual there and it wasn’t some religious person that told me what terms to use I just know that something happened and it was only 3 different occasions in my entire life time. If you have never experienced anything like that then you are in the majority of people that haven’t, don’t feel bad. And certainly don’t make other people feel bad that have because what happened to them is very real to them.

So Cliff, I’m sorry to hear that you’re not doing well. But needed to address your misconceptions about where I was coming from personally, not because of what someone told me to say. I’m here in Spokane WA so don’t know if I’m able to “come over” I’d be happy to make a phone call if that’s possible, I have a phone that can call anywhere in the country for the same price. I have no family here either and they all live in South. Florida and I am not on speaking terms with them. I am also disabled and understand what it’s like to not have many resources. Maybe there is something I can do to help you in your area to get you to a doctor. Sounds like you have diabetes maybe and your toes are ulcerated? My Grandfather had the same problems, as did a friend I had online at one time. Grandfather has passed away and my online friend (last time I spoke to him by phone) was doing much better but had to go through many treatment sessions to get well. And I hope you will do something to improve your situation.

Please let me know.

Take Care, Chuck :)

From: “Positive Atheism”
To: “Chuck”
Date: November 12, 2006

I will most likely be back with my long-time family doctor in January, thanks to compassionate generosity within the family who is helping to finance my move to the HMO where he now works. This will be more than plenty for me t this point.

And what would you call it then if not the word energy?

If it is not energy, then don’t use the word except in the most informal of settings where everyone present knows what you mean by the word.

Yes I believe some kind of life force that exists in us all goes on even after death.

If it’s a “life force,” then how come we wind up dead, anyway!?

... it seems to be able to effect things in this world and that must take some kind of energy to do so

Wow!

Hey, December 10 is upon us. May I travel with you to the Stockholm Concert Hall and watch you pick up the Prize for your work in having identified an undisclosed number of previously undiscovered form(s) of what may or may not be energy?

Don’t be so skeptical.

Why not? Claims of the supernatural are so cheap any more. I mean, just check any night’s entertainment listings on television! Who is trying to convince whom — and of what, may I ask? Just who is it that needs to beware?

Thanks for your kindness and your offer!

This is true atheism because it is true (small-“h”) humanism.

I have for years considered atheism to be the purest form of humanity, theism being an added attraction which comes later.

Thanks for writing!

Cliff Walker
www.positiveatheism.org