To Stop Seeing Atheists

as Potential Converts

Rachael

From: “Rachael”
To: “Positive Atheism”
Date: January 17, 2007
Subject: I like your site.

I just wanted to say that I love your list of quotations! (I’m a quote fanatic!) Whenever we’re studying a great figure in one of my history or literature classes, I head over to your site to look at that person’s outlook on religion.

At first I did it because I felt that if he or she was cynical about religion, then I could no longer respect that person. But as I became more open-minded towards beliefs different from my own, I began to look up their quotes to see the other side of that person, away from the pedestal that society has put them on. The Christian majority has a tendency to look at people like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, etc., as saints, people who followed the Bible, looked down on the “heathen,” when they were actually quite the opposite.

Also, I like how some of your site even has quotes from Christians. It shows that not all Christians are idiots, and even Christians who are idiots (like President Bush) can say something smart every now and then. I read your scary quotes, too: it’s hard to believe that people can be so stupid.

So even though your site is for atheists, I’ve made some use of it as well. I wish religious people would stop looking at atheists and agnostics as potential converts and just try to explore their beliefs, realize it’s good to question, and understand that people who think differently from themselves can still have a positive outlook on life.

Thanks,
~Rachael