Atheist Centre 50+ Golden Jubilee (1940-1990)
International Conference on
"Future of Atheism -- Humanism"
Vijayawada, December 29-31, 1990
[OCR, HTML, editing, Cliff Walker]

Growth of Atheism:
Impressive Statistics
Contributed by Arnold Via, USA.

The Universal Almanac, 1990, reports that there are 805,900,000 non-religious and 210,500,000 atheists in the world. This accounts for 16.9% and 4.4% respectively, for a total of 21.3%.

"According to The World Christian Encyclopedia (1985), more than a billion of the world's people consider themselves nonreligious (agnostic about religious claims) or atheistic (actively opposed to religion). Nearly three-quarters of these people live in East Asia, where they are a majority of the population of China. Nonreligious persons and atheists also make up a majority of people in the Soviet Union.

"If the estimates of non and anti-religious peoples are correct, these peoples make up the largest bloc in the world after Christianity," indicates the Almanac.

It reports that 20 million of these non-religious/atheists live in North America.


The Catholic News Service and Encyclopedia Britannica Book Of The Year, 1989, shows this breakdown of world religions (and nonreligions ):

Christianity: (1.7 billion) 32.9%

Nonbelievers: (1.1 billion) 21.6%

Islam: (880.6 million) 17.4%

Hinduism: (663.5 million) 13.1%

Buddhism: (311.8 million) 6.1%

Chinese religions: (172.3 million) 3.4%

Others: (167.5 million) 3.4%

Tribal religions: (92 million) 1.8%

Judaism: (18.2 million) 0.3%

The World Development Forum reports that if the world were a village of 1,000 people, there would be:

564 Asians

210 Europeans

86 Africans

80 South Americans

60 North Americans

There would be:

300 Christians ( 183 Catholics, 84 protestants, 33 Orthodox)

210 without any religion or atheist

175 Moslems

128 Hindus

55 Buddhists

47 Animists

Of these people:

60 would control half the total income

500 would be hungry

600 would live in shantytowns

700 would be illiterate