7. Most notable is "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" by the Carpenters.
8. Narcotics Anonymous (1982, r. 1986) p. 81 (prologue to the chapter "We Do Recover" allegedly written by NA's founder, Jimmy K.).
9. Cliff Walker, "Alcoholics Anonymous: A Religion in Denial " (1996).
10. See note 6.
11. Arthur Schopenahuer (1788-1860), "A Few Words On Pantheism." In Essays from the Parerga and Paralipomena, translated by T. Bailey Saunders (1951) p. 40.
12. Quoted by Michael Shermer in "The Annotated Gardner: An Interview with Martin Gardner -- Founder of the Modern Skeptical Movement" in Skeptic Magazine (1997) vol. 5, No. 2.
13. This approach derived from George H. Smith, Atheism: The Case Against God (1979), "The Concept of God," chap. ii., pp. 32-33.
14. From We are Unitarian Universalists by Marta Flanagan (once posted on Unitarian Universalist Hotlist, but slated to be assimilated into the Unitarian Universalist Association the last time we checked).
15. From Richard Dawkins, The Likelihood of God.
16. See Positive Atheism's section on thinking and logic.
17. Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason, Part First .
18. Sign on the desk of Harry S. Truman (1884-1972), 33rd President of the United States (1945-1953).
19. This argument is developed from Ibn Warraq, Why I Am Not a Muslim (1995) pp. 116-23.
20. God, in Deuteronomy 20:16 (King James Version), etc.
21. Jesus, in John 15:6 (King James Version). For centuries, this verse was used to justify burning heretics and witches at the stake.
22. The Koran, Sura 9:5. This verse, according to Ibn Warraq in Why I Am Not a Muslim (1995) p. 115, abrogated or nullified 124 other Koran verses commanding patience and tolerance. The practice of abrogating Allah's commandments in the Koran is justified in Sura 2:105: "Whatever verses we [Allah] cancel or cause you to forget, we bring a better or its like."
23. Ibn Kammuna, Examination of Three Faiths (1280 C.E.), quoted in Ibn Warraq, Why I Am Not a Muslim (1995) p. 3.
24. Ibn Warraq, Why I am Not a Muslim (1995), p. 121.
25. Hume, David, Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion (r. 1976), Part 5, pp. 192-93.
26. Lecky, W. E. H., Rationalism in Europe (rev. 1878), vol. ii., p. 289. (See the passage in question.)
27. Zwi Werblowski, article, "Polytheism" in Encyclopedia of Religion, quoted in Ibn Warraq, Why I Am Not a Muslim (1995) p. 117.
28. Arthur Drews, The Christ Myth (1910, republished by Prometheus).
29. John William Draper, History of the Conflict Between Religion and Science (1875) p. 39. (See the passage in question.)
30. Theodore M. Drange, Nonbeleif and Evil: Two Arguments for the Nonexistence of God (1998).
31. Shri K. G. Mashruwala, Introduction to An Atheist with Gandhi, by Gora (1951). (See the passage in question.)